The development of the Wheelabrator Kemsley Generating Station will support:
- Reduced reliance on fossil fuels
- Reduced carbon footprint of the mill
- Use of materials that might otherwise go to landfill or export to Europe
- Use of Kemsley Mill’s excellent transport links (easy access to the M2 and the M20
- National energy reduction targets
- Longer term efficiency and competitiveness of Kemsley Mill
- Creation of hundreds of construction jobs and dozens of additional operational roles at the Wheelabrator facility.
- Additional employment opportunities to the area.
- Reduce greenhouse gases by preventing methane release from landfill and reducing the need for fossil fuels.
- UK Government and European best practice targets to recover energy from post-recycled material for use in heat and power schemes.
- Recycling of metals from ash which can be used as a replacement for primary aggregates in the construction sector.